January is National Blood Donor Month
NYBC has continued collecting blood throughout the pandemic as the need for blood certainly has not stopped during these trying times.
NYBC is implementing modifications to our collections to provide a controlled and safe environment to our staff and donors.
Here are the steps NYBC is taking to make sure mobile blood drive set-ups are virus free:
- We ask blood donors and our own staff to stay home if they are not feeling well. Our staff are trained in universal precautions to help prevent the risk of spreading infectious agents.
- Blood Center employees’ temperatures are taken prior to the start of each shift.
- Blood donor temperatures are taken before they can start the registration process.
- Blood Center employees are to wear masks and donors a face covering.
- Blood drive set-ups are changed to allow more social spacing between donors and staff.
- Blood donations are by appointment only and walk-ins are only allowed if space allows.
- We are also regularly cleaning public surfaces.
- Refreshments for blood donors are single service, individually wrapped
- More information and to register for an appointment to donate https://donate.nybc.org/donor/schedules/drive_schedule/287153